The very first time I’ve try to make yam pancakes, my boyfriend almost didn’t talk for the all dinner. Once he finished his plate he asked me for more and told me it was one of his favorite recipes. I couldn’t keep this yamcakes recipe for me!
If you followed a gluten-free diet, no change is needed. For those under the low-FODMAP diet, do not put any onion or garlic. You can use asafetida powder or the green part of 2 spring onions instead. Be also careful with the portion size.
Don’t be afraid by the long ingredients list, you moslty have already everything you need to make these yamcakes!
For 6 pancakes
- 1 egg
- 2 cups shredded yam (about 4 yams)
- 1 cup carrots shredded
- 1 handful spinach or watercress
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ½ cup chickpeas flour
- ½ cup oatmeal
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (I use sorghum)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ cup hazelnuts, soaked and chopped (or other nuts)
- ½ red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp cumin seed
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp chili powder (if tolerated)
- 3 whole pepper grain (if tolerated)
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- 1 cup non-dairy milk (coconut, hemp, cashew, almond…) If you make your own, use the crushed in your pancakes.
- Cheese of your choice (optional)
Set a pot of water to boil and add shredded yam. Allow to boil for 3 to 4 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a skillet, melt 1 tsp coconut oil on medium heat and add onion, garlic, pepper and other spices. Add balsamic or apple cider vinegar, maple syrup and 3 tbsp water and cook on low heat with the cover for 15 to 20 minutes until caramelized.
In a large bowl, combine the chickpeas flour, all-purpose flour, oats, baking soda, egg, chopped hazelnuts, shredded yam and carrots and milk. Add caramelized and spicy onion, spinach and grated cheese if you want to, and stir until combined.
Melt 1 tsp coconut oil in a skillet and pour 1/3 cup of the batter onto it. Cook each side until golden brown. Repeat until no batter left.
I often serve these pancakes with kumara chips and a sauce or cashew cheese.